Funding agreement for the HERO project led by Prof. Dziembowski signed
On January 17, 2022, the agreement was concluded between Łukasiewicz – PORT, the Managing Entity of the WIB program, and the Research Team coordinated by IIMCB, whose project "Horizon of Excellence in Matrix RNA Applications in ImmunoOncology [HERO]" was selected in the first WIB competition. Scientists received nearly PLN 70 million for research on new cancer therapies with therapeutic mRNA technology. The event was attended by Wojciech Murdzek, Deputy Minister of Education and Science.
The research project will be carried out by scientists from a consortium of four leading Polish research units. It includes the International Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology in Warsaw, the University of Warsaw, the Institute of Physical Chemistry of the Polish Academy of Sciences, and the Medical University of Warsaw.
The leader of the Research Team is Prof. Andrzej Dziembowski, Head of the Laboratory of RNA Biology - ERA Chairs Group at IIMCB. The team also includes:
- Prof. Marcin Nowotny (Head of the Laboratory of Protein Structure at IIMCB)
- Prof. Marta Miączyńska (Head of Laboratory of Cell Biology at IIMCB)
- Prof. Jacek Jemielity (University of Warsaw)
- Prof. Joanna Kowalska (University of Warsaw)
- Prof. Robert Hołyst (Institute of Physical Chemistry of the Polish Academy of Sciences)
- Prof. Jakub Gołąb (Medical University of Warsaw)
- Prof. Dominika Nowis, MD (Medical University of Warsaw).
The HERO project received the highest evaluation of experts both due to the high substantive level and the commercialization potential of the assumed research results, i.e., the prospect of introducing them to the market. The mRNA technology is currently one of the most innovative directions in the pharmaceutical industry.
During the implementation of the research project, Łukasiewicz – PORT will support scientists, mainly in the commercialization of research results.
Learn more about the WIB program here.